Albertus Pictor is the name commonly used by art historians for a painter and "pearl-stitcher" (embroiderer) active in Sweden from about 1460 and last attested in 1509. He is mentioned in contemporary sources as "Albrekt målare" (Albert the painter) or "Albrekt pärlstickare" (Albert the pearl-stitcher), and signed paintings in Latin as "Albertus Ymmenhusen" or "Albertus Pictor". He is believed to have come from Immenhausen in Hesse. He painted walls and ceilings in churches in Uppland, Södermanland and Västmanland. In addition, one church in Nederluleå in the far north (see below) appears to be made by his workshop.
Härkeberga kyrka, Uppland
Täby kyrka, Uppland
Solna kyrka, Uppland
Danmarks kyrka, Uppland
(Albertus Pictor's workshop)
Kungs-Husby kyrka, Uppland
These paintings are attributed to Albertus Pictor's school. They were for some time covered by limewash but uncovered and "restored" by the painter Johan Zacharias Blackstadius in 1869.
This church is distant from Albertus Pictor's usual region around Lake Mälaren, but the style is similar to his and the paintings have been attributed to his workshop or school. In 2006, a signature was identified by Jan Öberg over the door to the vestry, but Öberg believes that, despite the signature, the church was made by members of his workshop rather than himself (see http://www.vitterhetsakad.se/fornvannen/pdf/2006/fornv2006_356_oberg.pdf)