Bregninge Kirke (Ærø)

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to: navigation, search

Bregninge Kirke, The church in BregningeÆrø island, Denmark. Belonging to the Diocese of Fyn

Bregninge Church was originally a roman Romanesque church from the year 1200 with monumental Gothic arches built in the late 1400s.

The impressive steeple of the tower (characteristic of eastern Slesvig is covered with oak shingles. The fresco from approx. 1510 (including the Passion and the life of John the Baptist) were uncovered 1915-22 and most recently restored in 1956 by Egmont Lind.

Outstanding triptych from the period just before the Reformation. It was created by the famous master Claus Berg (he also built the triptych in Odense Cathedral. The rood dates from late Middle Ages. The pulpit is in Renaissance style (1612). The northern entry to the churchyard is provided with a cattle grid.