Category:Annasäule Innsbruck

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to: navigation, search
Denkmalschutz-AT.svg Austria Bundesadler.svg This category shows the protected monument with the number 94249 in Austria. CHM/94249(other)
Deutsch: Siehe Annasäule
English: Baroque Annasäule (Anne's column) is actually a Maria column in Innsbruck's center which was established by 1706 after a 1704 promise by public authorities, because on St. Anne's Day, July 26, 1703, Bavarian invaders were defeated and expelled from the Tyrol (for a while, to be precise).

The monument was created by Italian sculptor Cristoforo Benedetti, from Trento. It was consecrated on St. Anne's Day, 1706, by the archbishop of Brixen. St. Anne is represented by one of the four statues at the foot of the column (N-side). The others are St. George, one of the protectors of the Tyrol (S), St. Cassian of Imola, protector of Brixen (W), and St. Vigilius of Trent, protector of Trent (E).

Due to corrosion, the Maria statue on the top of the monument was replaced by a copy in 1958, and the original was lent and is still kept at Fiecht Abbey's St. Joseph Church (St. Joseph being the other one of Tyrol's protectors).

Subcategories

This category has only the following subcategory.