Category:Asser Levy Recreation Center

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to: navigation, search

Asser Levy Recreation Center on East 23rd Street and Asser Levy Place, Manhattan, New York City, was built as a free public bath in 1904-1906, designed by Brunner & Aiken, and modeled after the public baths of ancient Rome. The baths were intended to help relieve the unsanitary conditions in the slums, where many people did not have access to private bath or shower. It is named after a prominent Jewish citizen of the Dutch colony of New Amsterdam, which preceded the English city of New York. It was designed by Arnold W. Brunner and Martin Aiken in the firm Brunner & Aiken. {Sources:Guide to NYC Landmarks (4th ed.), descriptive plaque on site)

Media in category "Asser Levy Recreation Center"

The following 3 files are in this category, out of 3 total.