Category:Bun Abhainn Eadarra
From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
English: Bun Abhainn Eadarra or Bunavoneadar is a hamlet on the south shore of North Harris, Scotland on the Loch Bun Abhainn Eadarra. It is connected with Harris's main port, Tarbert, by the B887 road. It is notable for containing the remains of an historic whaling station which was founded by a Norwegian company before 1900. The company was operational until 1914 and again from 1918 to 1922, when it was bought by William Lever, the Isle of Lewis's proprietor, for the purpose of creating jobs for the locals. The machines were renewed and three ships for whaling in the North Atlantic were bought. The project proved to be a failure as Leverholme intended to produce whale meat sausages for the African market, while the Norwegians had turned the whales into fertiliser with considerably more success.