Category:Cambus Wallace (ship, 1894)

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to: navigation, search

Ship[edit]

  • Type: Barque
  • Design by:
  • Order date:
  • Built by: Russell and Co. at Port Glasgow, United Kingdom
  • Yard No: 358
  • Keel laid:
  • Launch date:
  • Date of completion:
  • Length over all: 74.5 m
  • LPP: m
  • Beam: 11.5 m
  • Draught: m
  • GRT: 1651
  • DWT:
  • NET:
  • Sail area:
  • Main engine:
  • Speed: kn

History[edit]

  • 1894 Named: CAMBUS WALLACE for Russell J. Archie, Glasgow Flag: United Kingdom
  • On her trip to Brisbane, her first run under command of Captain Wm A. Legga (27) she made the Solitary Islands (New South Wales) from Glasgow in 121 days, and during that time no less than four gales had been encountered in the space of one week.
  • 03.09.1894 Ran aground in the heavy seas near the narrow stretch of Stradbroke Island called Tuleen. Within half an hour the main mast of steel cracked and broke, the lengthy upper part falling towards the bows. Some of the crew managed to swim to shore, but five men drowned. The hatches of the wrecked ship broke open as the tide rose and cargo washed overboard. The vessel was carrying whiskey, beer and cases of explosives as well as all kinds of imported fine goods. The barque disappeared entirely beneath the water in 48 hours. One weak and injured sailor breathed his last on the Miner as she was passing Cleveland on her home journey. He was buried in the Toowong Cemetery. By the spring of 1896, the tide had divided Stradbroke Island in two. The graves and memorial to mariners from the Cambus Wallace washed away into the waters of the new Jumpinpin Bar.

The bell of the Cambus Wallace was later recovered by Harvie Ladlow in the 1970's. To see a picture of the bell, go here: http://shipwreckbells.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/cambus-wallace.html

Media in category "Cambus Wallace (ship, 1894)"

The following 5 files are in this category, out of 5 total.