Category:Carpenters' Hall

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to: navigation, search
English: Carpenters' Hall at 320 Chestnut Street between S. 3rd and S. 4th Streets in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania was built in 1770-74 for the Carpenter's Company, and was designed by member Robert Smith based on the town halls of Scotland, where he was born, and the villas of the Palladio in Italy. The building's details are in the Georgian style. A large meeting hall took up the first floor, while smaller meeting rooms were on the second floor. Space was also rented out to other groups. In 1774, the First Continental Congress meet there. (Source: Philadelphia Architecture: A Guide to the City (2nd ed.)) The building is part of the Independence National Historical Park.