Category:Cathedral Basilica of St. James (Brooklyn)

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to: navigation, search

The Roman Catholic Cathedral Basilica of St. James on Jay Street between Cathedral Place and Cathedral Street in the Civic Center center area of Brooklyn, New York City was built in 1903 and designed by George H. Streeton in the Neo-Georgian style. The first church built on this site in 1822 became the cathedral of Brooklyn in 1853, but then became the "pro-cathedral" in 1896, when the bishop of Brooklyn planned to build a new Immaculate Conception Cathedral in Fort Greene, at Greene and Clermont Avenues. The cornerstone for the new cathedral was laid, and the walls built to a height of 10 to 20 feet before construction was stopped due to inadequate funds; of the planned complex, only a chapel (no longer extant) and the Bishop's residence (Category:LaSalle Hall, Brooklyn) were completed. The current church on this Jay Street site was built in 1903, and became a cathedral again in 1972. Because of the cathedral's small size, many ceremonies are held at other churches, which led to St. Joseph's Church in Prospect Heights being named the co-cathedral in 2013. (Sources: AIA Guide to NYC (5th ed.), "Fort Greene Historic District Designation Report" and Brooklyn Eagle article)

Media in category "Cathedral Basilica of St. James (Brooklyn)"

The following 5 files are in this category, out of 5 total.