Category:City of Adelaide (ship, 1864)

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to: navigation, search
English: The City of Adelaide was built in 1864 by William Pile, Hay and Co. in Sunderland, England, and was launched on the 7th May 1864. The ship was commissioned in the Royal Navy as HMS Carrick between 1923 and 1948 and, after decommissioning, was known as Carrick until 2001. At a conference convened by HRH The Duke of Edinburgh in 2001, the ship's name reverted to City of Adelaide.
The ship was transported from Scotland aboard MV Palanpur to Port Adelaide, arriving in early February 2014, where it is temporarily housed on the Bradley barge until a permanent site is selected and prepared. A celebration to mark the 150th anniversary of the ship's launch was held in May 2014.