Category:Columbia (ship, 1958, San Pedro)
From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
English: Columbia, Disney replica of Columbia Rediviva, see Category:Columbia Rediviva (ship, 1773)
- Joe Fowler (Disneyland’s construction supervisor and a former naval admiral)
- Architect Ray Wallace was commissioned in 1957 to work with Fowler in creating the construction plans.
- The ship was constructed at Todd Shipyards in San Pedro, California. Disney personally put a silver dollar under each of the Columbia’s three masts.
- 1958-06-04 Christening ceremony by Gretchen Richmond, wife of Alfred Carroll (A.C.) Richmond then Vice Admiral of the US Coast Guard.
- Many extensive refurbishments, but the only major change has been the 1964 addition of the crew quarters exhibit. Cast members have dubbed the Columbia “The Floating Skillet,” because of how hot it gets piloting the boat without any cover during the summer.