Category:Elgin Marbles

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to: navigation, search
Internationalization
Français : Marbres d'Elgin (marbres du Parthénon)
 ·
English: The Elgin Marbles are a collection of classical Greek marble sculptures (mostly by Phidias and his pupils), inscriptions and architectural members that originally were part of the Parthenon and other buildings on the Acropolis of Athens, Greece. The Elgin Marbles include some 17 figures from the statuary from the east and west pediments, 15 (of an original 92) of the metope panels depicting battles between the Lapiths and the Centaurs, as well as 247 feet (or 75 m of an original 524 ft or 160 m) of the Parthenon Frieze which decorated the horizontal course set above the interior architrave of the temple. As such, they represent more than half of what now remains of the surviving sculptural decoration of the Parthenon. Elgin's acquisitions also included objects from other buildings on the Athenian Acropolis: a Caryatid from Erechtheum; four slabs from the parapet frieze of the Temple of Athena Nike; and a number of other architectural fragments of the Parthenon, Propylaia, Erechtheum, the Temple of Athena Nike and the Treasury of Atreus.
Français : Les marbres d'Elgin, ou "marbres du Parthénon", sont un ensemble de sculptures grecques classiques en marbre, d'inscriptions et d'éléments architecturaux qui faisaient partie à l'origine du Parthénon et d'autres bâtiments sur l'Acropole d'Athènes en Grèce. Ils comprennent notamment l'essentiel de la frise du Parthénon qui décorait le bandeau horizontal situé sous l'architrave intérieure du temple. Acquis par le Britannique Lord Elgin, ils sont envoyés à Londres en 1801-1802 et sont exposés au British Museum. Voyez sur Wikipédia Marbres d'Elgin.

Subcategories

This category has only the following subcategory.

Pages in category "Elgin Marbles"

This category contains only the following page.

Media in category "Elgin Marbles"

The following 81 files are in this category, out of 81 total.