Category:Ely Valley Railway
From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
English: The Ely Valley Railway was a mineral line authorised in 1857 to serve the collieries of the Ely Valley. The first section of the line, between Llantrisant and Tonyrefail, opened on 2 August 1860. It was 4 miles 77 chains (8.0 km) long. The passenger service was withdrawn on 9 May 1958, but goods services continued until 12 October 1964. The EVR branch to Gellyrhaidd was extended to Gilfach Goch by a separate company, the Ely Valley Extension Railway, which opened on 16 October 1865 and closed to goods on 5 June 1961. The Ely and Clydach Valleys Railway was a northwards extension of the original EVR line, from Penygraig to Blaen Clydach, and closed in 1964.