Category:Fort Edward (Nova Scotia)
From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
|This category is for a cultural heritage site in Canada, number 7419 in the Canadian Register of Historic Places.|
English: Fort Edward is a National Historic Site of Canada in Windsor, Canada (formerly known as Pisiguit) and was built during Father Le Loutre's War. The British built the fort to help prevent the Acadian Exodus from the region. The Fort is most famous for the role it played both in the Expulsion of the Acadians (1755) and in protecting Halifax, Nova Scotia from a land assault in the American Revolution. While much of Fort Edward, including the officers quarters (burned down 1922) and barracks, has been destroyed, the blockhouse that remains is the oldest in North America. A cairn was later added to the site.
Français : Fort Edward est un site historique national du Canada situé à Windsor, en Nouvelle-Écosse. L'élément le plus notable du fort est un blockhaus, qui, à part les fortifications en terre, est tout ce qui reste d'une plus grande structure érigée en 1750 par le Major Charles Lawrence, les quartiers des officiers et les baraques ayant brûlé. Le blockhaus est le plus vieux de son genre au Canada.