Category:Henry Street Settlement
263-267 Henry Street between Montgomery and Grand Streets in the Lower East Side of Manhattan, New York City are part of the Henry Street Settlement. The settlement was founded in 1893 by Lillian Wald as the Nurses' Settlement, and in 1895 Jacob Schiff bought 265 Henry Street for the organization's use, and gave it to them in 1903. In 1906, the Settlement expanded into the Greek Revival townhouse next door at #267, which had a Colonial Revival facade by Buchman & Fox; the new building was a gift from Morris Loeb. In 1938, the settlement began leasing #263, and purchased it in 1949. #263 was restored in 1989 and #265 in 1992. (Source: Guide to NYC Landmarks (4th ed.))
The settlement added locations at 299, 301 and 303 Henry Street in 1902, and other locations were added throughout the Lower East Side. (Source: )
Media in category "Henry Street Settlement"
The following 7 files are in this category, out of 7 total.