Category:Historic images on the remaining Gardiner pylons, near Carlaw
The Gardiner Expressway had a 3km spur, east of its intersection with the Don Valley Expressway, that was originally going to connect to a Scarborough Expressway. For most of its length, east of Dufferin, the Gardiner is a highway elevated on pylons. The Scarborough Expressway was cancelled, in the 1970s, and in 2001 the spur needed expensive repairs, and it was decided to tear it down instead. Half a dozen of its original pylons were retained, as a kind of monument. And three of those pylons have large metal plates with photos from the City of Toronto archives engraved on them. The images show:
- Foot of Carlaw 1912, Toronto Archives
- Sewer construction, Carlaw south of Eastern 1933, Toronto Archives
- Peter MacCallum, off-ramp under demolition east of Leslie St. January, 2001. Toronto Archives
- Peter MacCallum, Joy oil tank demolition, Unwin Avenue, 1997.
- Peter MacCallum, Leslie St. off-ramp looking toward City Centre, 2001. Toronto Archives
- All the gang from Art Wire & Iron, located at 3 Carlaw Ave.
- Arthur Beales, Wood pilings for Imperial Oil Tank, Don Roadway and Lakeshore Blvd, 1918. T.H.C. Archives
- Peter MacCallum, backhoe demolishing the road deck east of Carlaw Ave, January, 2001. Toronto Archives
- Beach, foot of Cherry 1935, Toronto Archives
- Tony Bock, Gardiner demolition looking west, 2001.