Category:John G. Diefenbaker Building
From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
|This category is for a cultural heritage site in Canada, number 6629 in the Canadian Register of Historic Places.|
English: The John G. Diefenbaker Building is located on Green Island in the Rideau River, facing Sussex Avenue. Designed by John Bland of the firm of Rother, Bland and Trudeau as Ottawa's fourth city hall, it is considered one of the most important International Style buildings in Canada. Winning the Massey Medal for design in 1959, a significant expansion was designed by Moshe Safdie and constructed in 1992-93. In 2001, when Ottawa was amalgamated with nearby municipalities, the new city of Ottawa moved its city hall to the more centrally-located former Region of Ottawa-Carleton headquarters. The fourth city hall was sold to the federal government in 2003 and is now used by the Department of Foreign Affairs. After the sale, the building was officially known by its municipal address, 111 Sussex Drive, and still informally known as Old City Hall, but was renamed the John G. Diefenbaker Building in 2011.