Category:Kaituna (ship, 1904)
From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
- Design by:
- Order date:
- Built by: Osbourne Graham & Company, Sunderland
- Yard No:
- Keel laid:
- Launch date: 08.10.1904
- Date of completion: 1904
- Length over all: m
- LPP: m
- Beam: m
- Draught: m
- GRT: 1,977
- Sail area:
- Main engine: Triple Expansion 1,000 ihp
- Speed: kn
- 1904 Named: NEEDWOOD for France, Fenwick & Co. Flag: France
- 02.1905 Sold to Union Steam Ship Company of New Zealand Renamed: KAITUNA. Used on coal and timber trades from west coast South Island ports and across the Tasman. Flag: New Zealand
- 19.10.1905 Stranded on Farewell Spit while bound from Newcastle to Wellington. Refloated herself same day.
- 12.10.1908 Lost propeller blades in the Karamea Bight on her way from Lyttelton to Greymouth. Towed into Westport by CHARLES EDWARD.
- 29.03.1929 Collided with and sank Norwegian steamer SELJE off Cape Otway. Limped into Melbourne for major repairs.
- 12.1930 Laid up Auckland.
- 06.1931 Sold to by Wing Hong & Co., Hong Kong. Briefly owed by foo Hong S.S. Co. Ltd and then Dah Chung Coal Co., Shanghai. Flag: Hong Kong
- 1938 Sold to Wallem & Co. Renamed: NEEDWOOD.
- 12.1941 Fell into Japanese hands Renamed: KAIYO MARU. Flag: Japan
- 22.12.1942 Sunk in collision with NICHIUN MARU off Seto in the Inland Sea.