Category:Lake View Sanatorium
The Lake View Sanatorium at 1204 Northport Drive in Madison, Wisconsin, was constructed in 1929-30 as a tuberculosis sanatorium and general hospital for Dane County. Designed by architect E. A. Stubenrauch in the Art Deco style, the 66,000-square-foot facility accommodated 100 tuberculosis patients in an attractive setting that afforded abundant fresh air and sunshine while isolating them from the general population. It was located near the top of Lakeview Hill, which at 1017 feet is the second-highest point in Dane County (surpassed only by Blue Mound State Park). In keeping with advances in medicine, the sanatorium was phased out of service by 1966. The main building now houses licensing, clinical, and welfare services of the Dane County Department of Human Services. In 1987, the Madison Landmarks Commissions turned down a proposal to designate the sanatorium as a Madison Landmark. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1993, and in 2006 the surrounding park was placed in permanent conservancy, preserving it for public use.