|This is a main category requiring frequent diffusion and maybe maintenance. As many pictures and media files as possible should be moved into appropriate subcategories.|
Madurai (Tamil: மதுரை and IPA: [mɐd̪ɯrəj]), is the oldest inhabited city in the Indian peninsula. It is a city in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu and is the second corporation of Tamil Nadu (next to Chennai). It is situated on the banks of the River Vaigai in Madurai district. The city is widely known as the Temple city, and is often also referred to as Koodal Maanagar, Cultural Capital of Tamil Nadu, Malligai Maanagar (City of Jasmine), Thoonga Nagaram (Sleepless City), and Athens of the East. With a city population of 1,108,755 (2006), it is the second largest city in the state of Tamil Nadu, and the head quarters and administrative capital of Madurai district.
This category has the following 9 subcategories, out of 9 total.
- ► Buildings in Madurai (11 C, 11 F)
- ► Culture of Madurai (4 C, 13 F)
- ► Education in Madurai (2 C)
- ► Geography of Madurai (7 C)
- ► History of Madurai (8 C)
- ► Nature of Madurai (2 F)
- ► People of Madurai (5 C, 35 F)
- ► Sculptures in Madurai (2 C, 2 F)
- ► Transport in Madurai (6 C)
Pages in category "Madurai"
This category contains only the following page.