Category:Morgan Library & Museum buildings

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to: navigation, search

The Morgan Library & Museum (formerly the Pierpont Morgan Library) is a museum and research library located on Madison Avenue at East 36th Street in Manhattan, New York City. It was founded in 1907 to house the private library of J.P. Morgan, which included, besides the manuscripts and printed books, some of them in rare bindings, his collection of prints and drawings. The original library building was built from 1902-1907 and was designed by Charles McKim of the firm McKim, Mead and White, with sculptures by Edward Clark Potter. It cost $1.2 million. The library was made a public institution in 1924 by his son, in accordance with Morgan's will. An annex building, designed by Benjamin Wistar Morris, was added in 1927-28, and a modernist entrance building, designed by the Renzo Piano Building Workshop and Beyer Blinder Belle, was added in 2006. (Source: Guide to NYC Landmarks (4th ed.)