Category:NYPL former 135th Street Branch

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to: navigation, search

The former 135th Street Branch of the New York Public Library was a Carnegie Library built in 1903-05 and designed by Charles F. McKim of McKim, Mead and White in Italian Renaissance Palazzo style. In 1925 the branch was renamed the 135th Street Branch Division of Negro Literature, and the next year the collection of African American author and historian Arthur C. Shomburg was added. The building was renamed the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture in 1975, and a new building was constructed for the research collection from 1969-80, opening in 1978. The two buildings were linked in 1991. The 135th Street building was restored in 1990. (Source: Guide to NYC Landmarks (4th ed.))


US-NationalParkService-ShadedLogo.svg

This is a category about a place or building that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places in the United States of America. Its reference number is 78001881
More images

Subcategories

This category has only the following subcategory.

Media in category "NYPL former 135th Street Branch"

This category contains only the following file.