Category:New Orleans Public Library, Robert E. Smith Branch, 1979 building
The 1979 Robert E. Smith Branch of the New Orleans Public Library was the second of 3 branch libraries constructed at the downtown lake corner of Harrison Avenue and Canal Boulevard in the Lakeview section of New Orleans. Opening in 1979, it replaced an earlier smaller 1956 branch library building at the location. It flooded severely in the Hurricane Katrina levee failure disaster of 2005. The building was demolished in 2009, never being reoccupied since the flood. A new library at the same location opened in 2012.