Category:Primrose (ship, 1890)

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to: navigation, search
English: Both the PRIMROSE and the MAYFLOWER were constructed in 1890 and had been built under the auspices of the John Doty Engine & Ferry Company and remained under Doty's ownership until they were acquired the Toronto Ferry Company. Two-decked paddle side-wheelers. The PRIMROSE was 140 feet long and had a capacity of between 900 and 1,000 passengers. The novel electric lights were carried on her decks.

Both the MAYFLOWER and the PRIMROSE were popular with Torontonians for many years. During the heyday of the amusement park at Hanlan's Point in the 1920s both boats provided a good service. And prior to this they were pressed into service for use as cruise boats during the Canadian National Exhibition, stopping at docks specially built at the C.N.E. to let off fairgoers. After many years these docks were demolished.

The ships continued with the ferry fleet through 53 years of back-and-forth runs until they were finally retired from service in 1938 due to age. Stripped of their superstructure, the hull were made into barges suitable for the hauling of garbage to the Inspector Street incinerator.

Media in category "Primrose (ship, 1890)"

The following 2 files are in this category, out of 2 total.