A Ransome & Co, foundry, Battersea
In 1868 Allen Ransome (1833-1913) and Frederic Josselyn (1842-1900) set up A Ransome & Co in Chelsea, London. A Ransome & Co designed and manufactured woodworking and timber-handling machinery. Later they acquired a foundry in Battersea. Vincent Sydney Woods (1855-1939) joined them at the foundry and the foundry firm's name was Ransome, Josselyn and Woods. In 1900 all activities were moved to Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire under the management of V S Woods.
Ransome's Dock. In the mid-1880s Allen Ransome improved the Battersea foundry's surrounds also turning the creek by the foundry into a dock. He was assisted by civil engineer Edward Woods (1814-1903), father of Ransome's partner V S Woods. It was made large enough to take coastal steamers and allow vessels to pass or turn.
At the turn of the 19th to 20th century when Ransome's moved to Newark the foundry became Drew-Bear Perks & Co's Battersea Steelworks. In the 21st century the dock is a haven for houseboats.