Category:Russian Orthodox church (Hohenzollerndamm 33)
From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
English: The Russian Orthodox cathedral of the Russian Orthodox diocese of Berlin, est. in 1926. In November 1928 the diocese opened its cathedral on the third floor of the residential building in Hohenzollerndamm 33. The building was designed by the noted St. Petersburg architect, Nicholas B. Vassilieve, while living in exile in New York City. Due to a lack of financial resources, the diocese was obliged to incorporate ground floor commercial retail space and upper story residential apartment units into the design. This unfortunately did not provide sufficient money for the loan payments. As a result the lender foreclosed on the building in 1929. A compulsory auction followed and the diocese rented out the cathedral space to a city administrative office. In 1938 the diocese moved into a new edifice, the Resurrection of Christ Cathedral .