From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
English: Seir Kieran, also named Sier Kieran, in Irish Saighir Chiaráin, is a monastic site in Clareen, County Offaly, founded in the 5th century by St. Ciaran, refounded as a priory of the Augustinian Canons c. 1170, and dissolved in 1568. This was the former see of the bishops of Ossory until c. 1052 when it was moved to Aghaboe. (See Gwynn and Hadcock, Medieval Religious Houses Ireland, p. 194–195.) The remaining ruins include the base of a round tower, the base of a 9th-century high cross, some foundations of the priory, remainings of fortifications, a motte of the Anglo-Norman lords, and a small 19th-century church which was erected close to the site of the former church of the priory. Attached to the site are a holy whitethorn bush on which clothes are hung on March 5th in honor of St. Ciarán, and a holy well.
This category has the following 2 subcategories, out of 2 total.
Media in category "Seir Kieran"
The following 8 files are in this category, out of 8 total.