Category:St. Nicholas Hotel

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to: navigation, search

The St. Nicholas Hotel on Broadway between Spring and Broome Streets in what is now the SoHo neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City, was built in stages between 1851 and 1854. The central portion (#513-519) was begun in 1851 and completed in 1853; the southern wing (#507-511) and the northern wing (#521-527) were built from 1853-1854. The buildings were designed by either J. B. Snook or Griffith Thomas, and ironwork was by Daniel Badger. The only parts of the hotel remaining are two buildings at 521 and 523. The southern portion was replaced by a store in 1878, and the central by a store and warehouse in 1884. The remaining buildings are located within the SoHo - Cast Iron Historic District. (Source: "NYCLPC SoHo - Cast-Iron Historic District Designation Report")