Category:Williamsburgh Savings Bank Tower

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to: navigation, search

The Williamsburgh Savings Bank Tower was built in 1927-29 as the new headquarters for the Williamsburgh Savings Bank, and was designed by Halsey, McCormack and Helmer in a modernized Byzantine-Romanesque style. It is located at 1 Hanson Place, at the corner of Ashland Place, near the intersection of Atlantic and Flatbush Avenues, across from the Atlantic Terminal Mall, in the Fort Greene neighborhood of Brooklyn. The architects' plan for the new building did not include a Renaissance reviavl-style dome on top, but the bank considered a dome such as the one on the original building to be its signature and insisted on one being added. Both the exterior (1977) and interior (1996) of the building are NYC landmakrls. (Source: AIA Guide to NYC (5th ed.) and Guide to NYC Landmarks (4th ed.)

Subcategories

This category has the following 2 subcategories, out of 2 total.