Category:Wirgman Building (Romney, West Virginia)
From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
English: The Wirgman Building was an early 19th century Federal-style commercial and residential building located on East Main Street (U.S. Route 50) in Romney, West Virginia. Following its completion around 1825 to serve as the Romney branch office for the Bank of the Valley of Virginia, the Wirgman Building at various times served as a location for every subsequent bank established in Romney, to include the Bank of Romney and the First National Bank of Romney. During the American Civil War, the building was utilized as a military prison. For a time, the Wirgman Building's second floor housed the offices and printing plant of the Hampshire Review newspaper. By 1937, the ground floor of the Wirgman Building housed office and mercantile space, and the second floor was divided into apartments. After the Wirgman Building sustained damage in a fire in 1964, it was demolished in 1965 to make way for the construction of the new Bank of Romney headquarters building. Prior to its demolition, the Wirgman Building was photographed and documented by the National Park Service Historic American Buildings Survey in 1937.
|Object location||View this and other nearby images on: OpenStreetMap - Google Maps - Google Earth - Proximityrama|
Media in category "Wirgman Building (Romney, West Virginia)"
The following 6 files are in this category, out of 6 total.