The New Harmony Workingmen's Institute is located at 407 W. Tavern Street in New Harmony, Indiana, United States. William Maclure and other intellectuals came to New Harmony 1826 to join Robert Owen's utopian experiment. Maclure established the Workingmen's Institute 1838 to serve as model of self-education for laborers. Operated in various New Harmony sites until construction of this Romanesque style building 1894. This is the last remaining workingmen's library of 144 in 89 Indiana counties sponsored by Maclure's bequest. It still serves as library, archives, and museum and is oldest continuously operating public library in the state. Part of National Historic Landmark Historic District designated 1966.