Category talk:Maps showing the history of countries
I agree with Electionworld that Category:Maps showing the history of countries should also be a subcategory of Category:Maps of countries. Maps and map categories can be in multiple categories. I categorize maps and map categories fairly frequently, and so I know some of the logic. But before adding the category back again I will wait for some replies here. --Timeshifter 13:49, 25 May 2007 (UTC)
- I think that this move would satisfy you. If you agree, please support my move request, so we'll both get the wanted structures more quickly. --Juiced lemon 14:27, 25 May 2007 (UTC)
OK. I see what you are trying to do. I support changing the overall commons category name from "Category:Maps of countries" to "Category:Maps by country"
Then it would match the naming at English wikipedia:
I don't think you need to remove the old category name from the subcategories, though. When we change the name and make the move there will automatically be a category redirect. --Timeshifter 17:34, 25 May 2007 (UTC)
- To move the subcategories, you can:
- either edit each subcategory and change its categorization
- either request a bot to do the job. Administrators may add commands to this page in order to launch a bot process: User:Orgullobot/commands; users may only edit the talk page.
- The “moved” category page can be reused after the move, because the process affects only the contents, not the page itself. Therefore, don't categorize new items in Category:Maps of countries, since these new items will be moved too. --Juiced lemon 18:10, 1 June 2007 (UTC)
- I commented further on your user talk page. I believe we need to ask an admin in order to move/rename/redirect a category name. There is no need for bots. --Timeshifter 19:10, 1 June 2007 (UTC)
Category:Maps by country
Category pages can be subcategories of many other categories. Being in multiple categories is common. If I go to Category:Maps by country, then I, like many other people, often want to be able to find a link to Category:Maps showing the history of countries.--Timeshifter 09:12, 8 June 2007 (UTC)
- I have started to write Commons:Naming categories. There is special section for “categories by CRITERION”, which recommands strict categorization rules in order to optimize readability.
- Category:Maps showing the history of countries does not comply with the requirements to be categorized in Category:Maps by country. However, links can be freely added in any page, including Category:Maps by country. --Juiced lemon 11:29, 8 June 2007 (UTC)