Category talk:Plantae by family
Have emptied the content of numerous categories which were typographical errors, and 2 or 3 where the family has been incorporated into another family (e.g. 'Taxodiaceae' now included in Cupressaceae); these now-empty categories should be deleted - en:User:MPF 23:03, 27 Oct 2004 (UTC)
- You have been a bit early with this. The images are still being uploaded, so categories being emtpied do not mean they will stay empty. Only when the images are finished uploading, we will know precicely about the typographical errors and such. But thanks for the help. Gerrit 06:28, 28 Oct 2004 (UTC)
- How about a redirect to the correct category in the case of typographical errors? Gerrit 06:33, 28 Oct 2004 (UTC) P.S. I have limited time today
- Sorry if I have been too quick, I didn't realise they had only just appeared. But equally, if images are uploaded in the correctly spelled family first time, it will make for less editing later; deleting the erroneous categories will mean they are not available to upload images into wrongly and can only go into the correct one.
- I tried a redirect for a typo, but it doesn't appear to work properly for categories, either I don't know the correct redirect formula for a category (it clearly isn't identical to an ordinary wiki article), or else there's a bug in the system - en:User:MPF 07:31, 28 Oct 2004
Only 100 families
Cannaceae and Stangeriaceae
Plantae by genus?
I think it's a great system, having the Category match the family. However, a few family categories, like Pinaceae, include genuses as subcategories, like Pinus. Should one keep uploading to the family category (please...), or should one have to check whether there is a genus category for a particular species before uploading? the latter is too morose IMHO. -- Tintazul 16:03, 14 September 2005 (UTC)
- Personally, i'd prefer the family. However, for some families these categories will tend to grow unmanageble large, notably category:Orchidaceae, category:Poaceae, Category:Rosaceae, Category:Brassicaceae and some others. In these categories, we could choose the subfamily, or the genus. In many cases genus will yield very small categories, which are in my humble opinion useless. TeunSpaans 05:15, 19 October 2005 (UTC)