Category talk:Province of South Tyrol
Südtirol / Province of South Tyrol / Province of Bolzano (discussions)
Discussions are in :
- Commons:Village_pump/Archive/2009Mar#.22South_Tyrol.22_.3F and in
- Category talk:South Tyrol.
---DenghiùComm (talk) 04:44, 2 September 2009 (UTC)
Let's reprise the discussion
Hope that after 3 years of less or more flaming debate we can discuss the thing in a cooler way. The name "Province of South Tyrol" is not suitable either in Italian or German or English because it doesn't match any of the official names that the territorial subdivision has. Provinces of Italy have the official name "Provincia di XXXX" where XXX is - as for the 95% of the cases - the name of the city head of the province (es. Rome for the Province of Rome, Genoa for the province of Genoa and so on. Lesser cases are i.e. Verbania for the Province of Verbano, Cusio and Ossola, Pesaro for the Province of Pesaro and Urbino, Massa for the Province of Massa-Carrara). There is no "Province of South Tyrol" in Italy. There is a "Province of Bolzano" (Provincia di Bolzano) commonly said in Italian, and an official name of "Provincia autonoma di Bolzano-SudTirol".
My proposal is to change the name of the category either in:
- Province of Bolzano
- Province of Bolzano-South Tyrol
- Autonomous province of Bolzano-South Tyrol -- SERGIO (aka the Blackcat) 09:44, 27 September 2012 (UTC)
- I made a link on preveous discussion to warn the interested people. Note that on en:wiki, it is en:South Tyrol, so personally, I see no reason to change it and to wake up the South Tyrolian demons. --Foroa (talk) 10:04, 27 September 2012 (UTC)
- Originally, the name of the category has been "South Tyrol", but it was moved by Foroa to "Province of South Tyrol" in 2009 in order to align it with the other Italian provinces all of which go by the name "Province of" in Commons. Since Commons stipulates that Category names should generally be in English and since "South Tyrol" is the most common name of South Tyrol in English, the category's most natural name is "Category:South Tyrol". However, given the long history of move discussions on the subject, there has been tacit agreement among editors that a debate about the additive "Province of" is not worth the fuss and that "Category:Province of South Tyrol" kind of works too. But this acceptance of "Category:Province of South Tyrol" should not be taken as a mandate to move the category in another step to some entirely different name like the ones you proposed above. Rather, the rationale of adding "Province of" is only to make the category fit into the systematics of the "Category:Provinces of Italy". Gun Powder Ma (talk) 22:45, 2 October 2012 (UTC)
- I totally agree with Gun Powder Ma. --Mai-Sachme (talk) 10:01, 4 October 2012 (UTC)
Move back to South Tyrol, which was unilaterally changed by User:Foroa despite the consensus on the talk page, see here Category talk:South Tyrol. Consequently "Province of Trento" also needs to be changed to "Trentino". Gryffindor (talk) 11:14, 5 October 2012 (UTC)