Category talk:Tibet Autonomous Region
Highly disagree with deletion
Hi! I disagree with the deletion request of this category. en:Tibet (disambiguation) is a concept wider than the territory currently know as en:Tibetan Autonomous Region. In several provinces of China as Qinghai, Sichuan, Yunnan and Gansu there is wide areas where most people is Tibetan people, and culture and religion is tibetan. So we need to difference between where for example a tibetan monastery is. And it can be in Tibet Autonomous Region or Sichuan province. I know this is a sometimes controversial question, but I think in Commons we must limit our classifying concepts to geography. And Ganzi is a tibetan town but it's not in Tibetan Autonomous Region. So Category:Tibet and Category:Tibetan Autonomous Region must exists in Commons. Regards, --Colegota 19:42, 12 May 2006 (UTC)
I also think this category is necessary. There is an article in en:Tibet Autonomous Region with interwikis to 11 languages. It belongs to en:Category:Autonomous regions of the People's Republic of China and en:Category:Tibet, so it's needed to clarify which regions are autonomous, to include everything in the general Tibet category would be very confusing. Therefore, if there aren't some powerful reasons to delete it I'll revert this proposal and restore its content. Anna 20:23, 12 May 2006 (UTC)
Category:Tibet was a subcategory of Category:Tibet Autonomous Region and Category:Tibet Autonomous Region was also a subcategory of Category:Tibet. I fixed the problem, so one of the categories empty and not necessary. So I added a speedydelete here.
But I think the name of the category may be better to be changed to Xizang or something like for disambiguate, since other autonomous regions in Category:Provinces of China have no suffix "Autonomous Region" such as Category:Xinjiang and etc. So it looks a bit strange only this one has a suffix. Yaohua2000 20:42, 12 May 2006 (UTC)
- Hi. You are right when you talk about that Category:Tibet must not be a subcategory of Category:Tibetan Autonomous Region. That was an error by myself when I removed category Category:Provinces of China from Category:Tibet. But the only fix needed were removing that (Category:Tibetan Autonomous Region from Category:Tibet). Removing Category:Tibetan Autonomous Region from Category:Tibet you are created some problems.
- As you can see on the heading text at Category:Tibet, Tibet is a region in Central Asia and the home of the Tibetan people. So this category must include any information (multimedia files, as we are in in Commons) related to the region, not only to the Tibet Autonomous Region while much people identify the word "Tibet" with the territory that is currently the TAR.
- That's the reason because Category:Tibetan Autonomous Region were under Category:Tibet. Because the TAR is included in the region.
- Same way, the ancient territory of Kham is now divided between the Tibetan Autonomous Region, Sichuan and Yunnan provinces, so Category:Kham must be in all this categories, as in Category:Tibet.
- I think the reason for this is the only "autonomous region" that has the words "Autonomous Region" in the name of the category is because is the only that needs it, just to different between the region also know as "historical Tibet" and the current territory most know as Tibet. For example Xinjiang has no anther territory called with the same name. And in Wikipedia we use to put the most single names if there is no problem to identify it. Anyway, you can create, for example, a redirection from Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region to Xinjiang. But not with categories, because categories cannot be redirected in Commons.
- Also, you can create Xizang as the gallery for Category:Tibetan Autonomous Region or just redirect it to Tibetan Autonomous Region. But you can't create Xizang as category because categories must be in English and Xizang is Pinyin. I usually create galleries with the same name as categories because it's easy to identify it. But there is no problem to create redirects for galleries.
- And, please, when you think something is wrong, please let some lines in talk pages before start changing. Regards, --Colegota 00:12, 13 May 2006 (UTC)
- Actually, all other provincial names are pinyin. OK, I would like to use English name, but unfortunately it is in use. So Xizang is a good candidate category name for the autonomous region. Xizang is pinyin, but also can be, or may be already an English word, just like Xinjiang, Qinghai, and etc, you think it is pinyin not an English word just because the word Tibet exists. Or another way to solve this problem to redirect historical Tibet to something like Category:Historical Tibet, and use Category:Tibet for the autonomous region. I really do not like the "Autonomous Region" suffix while no other autonomous regions have the suffix. Yaohua2000 01:40, 13 May 2006 (UTC)
- Hi again. About this last point, "in English" means "as people that speakes English call it". So English speaking people used to said "Tibet" but not "Xizang". While same people said "Xinjiang" because there is not an english word for this area.
- Move Tibet category to something like "Historic Tibet" is a possible idea, but most times we use English Wikipedia as the reference, and there the article is en:Tibet (with a different one for en:Tibet Autonomous Region), so at least for now, is better to keep the same.
- The "autonomous region" sufix, as many others sufix and specifications, are used when there are needs to distinguise. When there is no need, is better as shorter.
- We had restructurated political divisions of China (PRC) by insert Category:Province level divisions of China with four subcategories and now every one of those Province level divisions must be in his correct subcategory.
- I hope you agree with this new structure. Regards, --Colegota 14:12, 15 May 2006 (UTC)