Operator: Bogdan (
Bot's tasks for which permission is being sought:
The bot uploads public domain newspapers, journals and books and does the categorization for them.
So far it has uploaded:
- about 20,000 Romanian newspaper issues published between 1850-1918. - PD due to copyright expiration for anonymous works 70 years. The articles are signed only with pseudonyms, and the only name in clear being of the editor-in-chief (such as Ion Luca Caragiale (1852-1912), Alexandru Beldiman (1832-1898), whose work expired due to life + 70). Sample: German-language Bucharest newspaper Category:Bukarester Tagblatt.
- about 10,000 issues of the official gazette of the Romanian Parliament (which publishes laws and administrative decrees) - PD due to inelligibility according to the Romanian copyright law
- about 850 Romanian language books and booklets (all of them by en:Nicolae Iorga, categorized in Category:Books by Nicolae Iorga) - PD due to copyright expiration (life + 70)
- categories for the newspapers and journals (not yet complete, there are still some batches of categories to be created)
The sources for the scans are generally local libraries (Bucharest Metropolitan Library, Cluj University Library, etc).
Automatic or manually assisted: automatic
Edit type (e.g. Continuous, daily, one time run): one time run
Maximum edit rate (eg edits per minute): 6
Bot flag requested: (Y/N): Y
Programming language(s): Python
- I think will be good idea to find more meaningful bot name. Is it possible to provide precise URL for each file? --EugeneZelenko (talk) 15:48, 16 February 2013 (UTC)
- I don't think the bot did any damage at all to be blocked. All its uploads respected the rules regarding to copyright, file description and categorization, so what's the problem with it? Bogdan (talk) 08:57, 22 February 2013 (UTC)
- I reported the bot; the problem I saw was that it was editing very quickly, had a unique username, and was not approved. Mono 00:41, 24 February 2013 (UTC)
- What is the relationship between User:Unauthorized Bot and User:Botul prietenos? Both seem to be unapproved bots operated by the same person uploading the same kind of files. --Stefan4 (talk) 21:11, 2 March 2013 (UTC)
- Could you please reconfirm the copyright status of the newspapers? You are claiming that all authors are anonymous or pseudonymous and that the pseudonyms can't be matched to any real person. Are you really sure that this is the case? For example, File:Familia 1906-12-03, nr. 39.pdf contains a translation of a text attributed to someone called Stefan Bársony, which I take is hu:Bársony István (író) (1855-1928). Also, the same magazine contains photos of sculptures by Alexandru Liuba (1875-1906). These works are luckily in the public domain, but there are lots of names in the magazines, and I can't tell if the rest of the names are unidentified pseudonymes or if some of the names in fact are real names. I take it that the newspapers from the 1850s are in the public domain because all of the authors died more than 70 years ago, but this is less clear when you get to 1918. --Stefan4 (talk)