This is a record of bugs that significantly affect the performance or usability of the Commons. Bugs that are fixed should be removed from this list.
Note that voting for bugs does not directly influence the priority scale for developers. A vote is more like a "Watch this" in bugzilla. So that you can follow bugs you find most important via the search list "Bugs I voted on". Developers primarily prioritize bugs by severity, importance and milestone. By voting and/or adding yourself to the "CC" you will receive email updates whenever someone makes a change to the ticket or leaves a comment on it. "Advocating" for bugs, by posting comments on Bugzilla that effectively just say "I also want this fixed" or "This is really very important", is discouraged by the developers. It e-mails everyone watching the bug (possibly dozens of people or more) and comments can't be deleted. Bugs with lots of such comments make it hard to find useful information later on. Posting technical descriptions that may solve the problem and patches are extremely welcome on Bugzilla.
- bugzilla:4995: Ability to block users from uploading files only. This is desirable to force users to correctly annotate their existing images and read the licensing rules before uploading any additional images. Blocked by : 14636.
bugzilla:488: Upload more than one file at a time. Bulk uploading option. Work-arounds: Perl script, Java stand-alone program Commonist.now possible via Special:UploadWizard.
- bugzilla:2537: Ability to preview summary in "Upload file" page.
- bugzilla:4636: Overwriting a file loses new summary text.
- bugzilla:14171: Allow Special:FileDuplicateSearch to match against previously deleted images
bugzilla:30718 - UploadWizard should not suggest categories that do not exist(fixed for UploadWizard, but fix not yet live; and underlying issue bugzilla:26411 remains)
- Commons:File types#Unsupported_file_types - requests for new file types
- bugzilla:39344: Show MediaWiki:Fileexists from the "Upload a new version of this file" link below the File History.
- bugzilla:3498: Image history is confusing. About the difference between the upload history (listed at the bottom of the image page) and the image page history (listed under the "history" tab like all regular pages).
- bugzilla:4421: Image extension should not be part of the name.
- bugzilla:6220: Shared repositories support for Special:WantedFiles
- bugzilla:17505 - No High Dynamic Range Image (HDRI) file formats allowed on Commons
bugzilla:24854 - Black/striped thumbnails of CMYK JPEGsfixed (but size of thumbnails is still huge)
Image rendering problems 
Problems with SVGs not rendering at all, or rendering incorrectly, are frequent. Here are some general tips to try:
- If you use Adobe Illustrator editor, try opening your file in Inkscape and saving as a "plain SVG" before uploading.
- Using rsvg-view will give you the same output as MediaWiki's rendering (in theory). This can be useful when Firefox etc render your image correctly but MediaWiki doesn't.
- bugzilla:4688: Allowing tag Image to access SVG layers. This issue has infinite uses. We at pt: have an SVG map where we store everything, from rivers to municipalities. We could choose on the fly which ones to render.
bugzilla:5402:Image URLs containing "/ad/" trigger some ad blocking filters. Although this is marked WONTFIX, it is worth listing here because it still causes problems. If you find a random image won't load no matter what you do, and all other images are fine, try to check the exact URL. If this is the problem, you need to adjust your ad blocking software. Use of this subdirectory is likely to be avoided in the future but existing affected images are not likely to be changed.
Media (audio, video, documents) 
- bugzilla:1578: Media links should display icons according to type
- bugzilla:3574: Better wiki markup to display media files needed
- bugzilla:17957: Infrastructure for image/video file uploads by FTP
- bugzilla:21338 - New user right: "Allow large uploads" (to ignore COM:MAXSIZE)
- bugzilla:29250 - UploadWizard: Resumable uploads ("chunked uploads") (to allow abolition of COM:MAXSIZE)
- bugzilla:167: Metadata (interwiki & category links) should be stored outside the article text. (see #In relation to other Wikimedia projects)
- bugzilla:1710: Ability to watch all articles in a category. "Watching" a category would mean you were alerted when items were added to or removed from the category, as well as when the category page itself was actually changed.
- bugzilla:2725: View list of articles in subcategories all on one page. (Or images, say.)
- bugzilla:3311: Automatic category redirects. Category redirect only redirected the category *itself*, but not the articles categorized in the category. If this was implemented, we would be able to have multilingual categories (at the moment we self-restrict to English only to try and avoid chaos): images placed in Category:Maus, Category:Mouse and Category:Mysz would all be available together.
- Duplicate: bugzilla:8685: Support moving categories (relies on 3311, automatic category redirects)
- bugzilla:5346: make category redirects appear as different coloured links. For example, green. Then users would be alerted that something undesirable had happened in that category (for example, if you put an image in Category:Cars, there is no way to know without checking that it should actually be in Category:Automobiles). Temporary desirable work-around for bugzilla:3311.
- bugzilla:17955 - Show end of image names in categories (Currently available via gadget "Long Image Names in Categories")
- bugzilla:21795 - Camera categories: parse category and switch in mediawiki namespace
- bugzilla:28569 - Create a userright allowing to move pages in category namespace (without moving category members) - i.e. categorymove right, parallel to filemove
- bugzilla:1495: Undefined messages in user language don't fall back to MediaWiki: customizations
- bugzilla:2592 - E-mail notifications (enotifs) are not sent in the recipient's user interface language
- bugzilla:3665: PATCH: auto-detect interface language for anonymous users. User:Duesentrieb's proposed solution so that anonymous users can easily sign up in their language (according to their browser settings).
- bugzilla:5309: Localize captcha images. At the moment captcha images use letters from the Roman alphabet. For people who do not speak a language that uses this kind of alphabet, captchas can be extremely confusing.
- Bugzilla:16052: Allow multilingual SVGs
- bugzilla:29928: show translated titles per user language
- bugzilla:2700: Pre-save transform skips extensions using wikitext (gallery, references, pipe trick, subst, signatures)
- bugzilla:5383: Slideshow option to complement gallery function for images
- bugzilla:8480 - Support multi-page DjVu files in image galleries
- bugzilla:11500 - Rearranging images in galleries
- bugzilla:29600 - Gallery: number of images hardcoded
- bugzilla:31517 - Cannot use templates in <gallery> caption
- bugzilla:2285: Restrict search by category, or set of categories (e.g. range of date categories)
- bugzilla:5244: Allow searching in intersections, etc. of categories
- bugzilla:6090: Add time of last search index update to Special:Search.
- bugzilla:8738: Improve media (image) search display. Proposal for a Special:Imagesearch.
- bugzilla:13370: Search images by metadata
- bugzilla:18861: Search should index template expansion
- bugzilla:21061: Add uploaded file text and metadata from files to fulltext search set
- bugzilla:21102: Don't propose to create the page when using prefix:, intitle: or +incategory:
- bugzilla:21139: Option to sort search results by size and date in advanced
- bugzilla:21276: Incategory should work with wildcards
- bugzilla:21988: Improve Advanced Search form to include other "advanced" features
- bugzilla:30595: Inconsistent search results with language links
- Bugzilla:35701: Clustering for image searches
- Bugzilla:35691: Occasional temporary problem: no search results for any search terms
In relation to other Wikimedia projects 
- bugzilla:167: Metadata (interwiki & category links) should be stored outside the article text. Interwikis are used heavily on categories and gallery pages. Storing them outside the article text would mean that when an article is written in a new language, it only has to be added to one list, once, instead of dozens of lists dozens of times.
- bugzilla:1552: Upload to Commons from any Wikimedia website
- bugzilla:5283: Moving media files to Commons ought to be much easier, automatic (workaround)
- bugzilla:5995: Block local description edits for Commons images. Apparently some wikis translate image captions at their wiki's local "fake" copy, instead of putting the translation on the Commons page. Whether or not this is a desirable thing is a matter of opinion.
- bugzilla:14801 - Global deleted image review for Commons admins
- bugzilla:14888 - Special page to list name collisions with shared upload repository
- bugzilla:14919 - Enable Upload by URL for admins on Commons (to support transfer from WMF wikis to Commons) - waiting for bugzilla:20512 (enable Upload by URL)
- bugzilla:18752 - Show categorization on shared repository on local file page.
- bugzilla:23133 - Write and implement Commons upload blacklist feature for Main Pages and other special pages
- bugzilla:23830 - Warn when filename on shared repo clashes with a local repo file
- bugzilla:26525 - A commons image should have an edit tab going directly to the Commons page
- bugzilla:29803 - Case sensitivity and GlobalUsage
- bugzilla:30239 - Allow searching of only local hosted files
File naming 
- Bugzilla:28299 - An image redirect from a foreign File Repo overrides local wiki page. (i.e. when files are renamed on Commons and there is a file of the same name on a local wiki, the rename will cause the Commons file to suddenly override the local one).
- Bugzilla:35721 - Moving files breaks hotlinks (i.e. direct uses of the file via
upload.wikimedia.org, per COM:REUSE#Hotlinking).
- Bugzilla:42582 - Cache of pages on other wikis using the file after moving through a redirect is not purged leading to empty images/ missing images. Usually CommonsDelinker replaces usage but the bot has to be instructed and it has to work. “Historically the old URLs for files may have taken longer before they got killed out of squid cache“ but now immediately after moving the file is not displayed.
- bugzilla:7866 - Allow downloading multiple image files in a compressed archive
- Bugzilla:9666 - External link syntax which adds rel="license" (make search engines understand Commons' licensing)
- bugzilla:30915 - Global option to add a "my uploads" link to Special:MyUploads at the top right next to "my contributions"
See also 
- Commons:Tools - user-created tools to help improve your Commons experience
- mw:InstantCommons - allows non-Wikimedia wikis to easily access the Commons
- meta:User:Duesentrieb/CommonsTicker - a tool that helps local projects monitor the critical changes (overwriting, deletion) to images from the Commons that their wiki uses
- Commons:Editor's index to Commons#Bugs (COM:EIC#Bugs) - more bug-related links
|Ways to get help|