Commons:Categories for discussion/2009/11/Category:Online games
This category was repeatedly deleted by Bayo for unrelevant reasons (Bayo don't like several images which was included, see User talk:ŠJů#Online games). I am convinced that it is an important category: analogous categories exists at 23 Wikipedias. Category:Video games which is used by Bayo has a different scope: most of video games are not intended for online play, as well as there exist online games which aren't video games. I propose to keep the category Category:Online games and to fill it by adequate content. Subcategories as Category:Online video games can be created. --ŠJů (talk) 07:26, 11 November 2009 (UTC)
- Useless to categorize games... Mostely all games have online mode, and this category is not a good way to categories (for example between an online FPS and a no online FPS, the more usefull category is FPS, then a category according to the gameplay, not according to a network feature). If we search a feature Wikipedia is better than commons. And at the moment we do not categorize game genre on Commmons, because we dont have a lot of games. It is more usefull (and less painfull) to sort games by alphabet, or to create a first level of "by genre" (like FPS) if it is really need. Categories like "multiplaye/online/free to play/shareware..." are (at the moment) not usefull.
- And I delete this category because it containe mostly shit. And we can see it is empty.
- "it exists online games which aren't video games"? Really? That's funny, anyway.
- Thanks for your help. ~ bayo or talk 10:38, 11 November 2009 (UTC)
- Delete The criteria to categorize is not the same here and in wikipedias, because there they categorize article, and here imges and other media files. Being online or not is a valid criteria for organizing articles (as such is information that would impact in the article), but not for screenshots or other images of games. Belgrano (talk) 15:20, 16 November 2009 (UTC)
- Comment . If most games are just categorized in a category named after the game, one could just list them all in Category:Games by alphabet. To build a navigation structure around this, one could use User:EuseBot. It would add parent categories from en:Category:Games to each game. "Online games" could be one of them. -- User:Docu at 09:28, 19 November 2009 (UTC)
- We already have Category:Video games by alphabet, and i dont think it is a good idea to dup it with "tags" like that. It will need more work for finally nothing, imho. ~ bayo or talk 19:12, 21 November 2009 (UTC)
- Keep One of the major criteria to categorize here is to make it easy for a Wikipedian to find the appropriate pictures for the article. We don't need to mirror any one Wikipedia's category system, but we should generally follow their lines when not completely unreasonable.--Prosfilaes (talk) 19:17, 21 September 2010 (UTC)
- Discussion is dead, I think it may be closed as kept Bulwersator (talk) 13:48, 9 February 2012 (UTC)