Commons:Categories for discussion/2011/12/Category:Past in the United Kingdom
From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
This discussion of one or several categories is now closed. Please do not make any edits to this archive.
- I would suggest that this discussion should really be taking place at Category:Past, the global category. The United Kingdom category has been created to mirror the global categories. I would tend to agree with you.
- Category:Past is a subcategory of Category:Abstract and Category:Time. Category:Abstract leads through Category:Psychology and Category:Social sciences, where it branches into Category:Academic disciplines and Category:Scientific disciplines to Category:Academia and Category:Science respectively at the Topic level. Category:History, on the other hand, is a topic in its own right.
- For all the subcategories of Category:Past, it seems odd that Category:Buildings by former association, Category:Buildings by former function, Category:Cancelled subjects, Category:Heritage, Category:Memory, Category:No longer existent subjects and Category:Old signs have no link whatever to Category:History.
- Certainly the links through to Category:Academia and Category:Science need to be maintained. I would suggest moving the subcategories of Category:Past to Category:History, and making Category:History, in addition to a global Topic, a subcategory of Category:Past, which would have no other subcategories. It seems preferable to maintain Category:Past alongside Category:Future in both Category:Abstract and Category:Time. Alternatively, Category:Past could be abolished completely, and Category:History made a subcategory of both Category:Abstract and Category:Time in addition to being a global Topic.
- I have copied this discussion to Category:Past, where I have opened a new category for discussion, and would suggest all future comments are made there. Once the global categories are sorted, we can then change the United Kingdom categories to match whatever is decided. Skinsmoke (talk) 03:23, 7 December 2011 (UTC)
Discussion continued at Commons:Categories for discussion/2011/12/Category:Past
- I have no real concern with Category:Past - I don't object to your proposal over there, but I also don't have a huge concern with the existing situation. It's great if you want to raise the larger issue, but I would prefer to focus on this more discrete issue and not have it get lost in the bigger discussion. There may be reasons why the global category would be kept, but they wouldn't apply here. Regardless of what happens with the larger Category:Past, this subcategory is pointless, as it unnecessarily duplicates what Category:History of the United Kingdom is already doing. --Skeezix1000 (talk) 11:33, 7 December 2011 (UTC)