Commons:Categories for discussion/2012/07/Category:Gallery pages
- Note. See also: Commons:Village pump/Proposals/Archive/2012/07#Gallery portals.
- See discussion here: Commons:Village pump/Proposals#Gallery portals --Timeshifter (talk) 09:47, 6 July 2012 (UTC)
If we organise this into subcategories, it would help get an overview of what's out there. I think part of the problem with galleries is the lack of an overview. The "meta-gallery" approach mentioned at Commons:Village pump/Proposals#Gallery portals would help - but so would this, and in addition it would help build such meta-galleries. To give a concrete example: we'd like to have Neptune (planet), Uranus, Saturn (planet) etc all together somehow. One way to do it is to overcategorise, so that in addition to the relevant planet category, the gallery is in Category:Planets of the Solar System. Another is to create a category, Category:Planets of the Solar System galleries. In terms of getting a Big Picture of what's out there for galleries, the second approach is more helpful (because the category will be a subcategory of Category:Gallery pages). This has some potential to create a parallel category structure to the existing one, but with so many fewer galleries than files, I think we can live with it for the benefit of getting an overview of galleries. Rd232 (talk) 10:52, 6 July 2012 (UTC)
- Anything would be better than nothing. I had no idea until today that there were 106,000 gallery pages on the Commons (according to Foroa). That's insane. How is someone supposed to get an overview of gallery pages? See suggestions on the other thread too: Commons:Village pump/Proposals#Gallery portals
- I started a Bugzilla thread about showing only gallery pages while browsing Commons categories:
- https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=38214 --Timeshifter (talk) 12:07, 6 July 2012 (UTC)
The idea of a gallery category makes some sense - when I first arrived at Commons, I certainly looked for one! And if it's used as a parent category only (Foroa's "redundant" point is well taken), it could be quite useful! The categorization scheme here is too complex for the number of galleries here, even though it generally makes sense for files. --Philosopher Let us reason together. 06:19, 7 July 2012 (UTC)
Number of gallery pages 
Foroa said elsewhere that there are 106,000 gallery pages. Here is the source:
It is not listed here though:
- In Commons:Database reports/Page count by namespace, there is a column for 73000 redirects (13000 more than the claimed ones) and one for non-redirects. Unfortunately, we have no distinction between gallery and category redirects, the latter forming probably the majority. --Foroa (talk) 16:12, 8 July 2012 (UTC)
A-Z table of contents for large categories 
An A-Z TOC template is better for the average reader than Special:AllPages.
There are several A-Z TOC templates available for categories:
Click on "What links here" for those templates to find the categories using the templates. Some of the categories with those templates have hundreds of thousands of pages/files in them. Some over a million. For example;