Commons:Categories for discussion/2012/08/Category:Door friezes

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to: navigation, search
This discussion of one or several categories is now closed. Please do not make any edits to this archive.

Category:Door friezes[edit]

Where is the frieze? What does Door friezes mean? Category to delete ? GFreihalter (talk) 08:08, 27 August 2012 (UTC)

I marked the "friezes" in the photo. In all fairness, I don't have the least idea how that thing is really called, but it certainly has a name. It's like a frieze over the door, though it's not carved or painted, but a fixed panel. They all have distinctive shapes and decorations. It's a common feature on up-scale 19th century urban buildings in Funchal. Besides classifying this particular architectonic element, the purpose is to group the buildings which have that, so that it can be used to match against old photographs, or recent ones (like this one) which don't have a location, so that they could be identified.--- Darwin Ahoy! 11:15, 27 August 2012 (UTC)
I already know what this is. It's a Victorian architecture element used to disguise the rolling mechanism of blinds and Venetians. It's sort of a frieze indeed, but there should be a more proper name for it.--- Darwin Ahoy! 11:55, 26 September 2012 (UTC)
Moved to Category:Venetian blind friezes, old category deleted (closed discussion).--- Darwin Ahoy! 14:12, 21 May 2013 (UTC)
Note (after closing): The correct name for those architectural elemente is Lambrequin, and they are now being correctly categorized in the proper lambrequin categories.--- Darwin Ahoy! 13:00, 22 November 2013 (UTC)