Commons:Categories for discussion/2013/03/Category:Transport in Finland by year
I request all pre-2000 "YYYY in transport in Finland" to be deleted. There are so few pre-2000 transport related pictures (and so few pictures at all) taken in Finland from that consistent categorization is not possible and this kind of fine-grain categorization actually does more harm than good.
At the moment such categories are:
- Category:1928 in transport in Finland
- Category:1934 in transport in Finland
- Category:1950 in transport in Finland
- Category:1957 in transport in Finland
- Category:1972 in transport in Finland
- Category:1978 in transport in Finland
- Category:1979 in transport in Finland
- Category:1986 in transport in Finland
- Category:1987 in transport in Finland
- Category:1999 in transport in Finland
Some earlier discussions are available at User talk:J 1982#Unnecessary date categories.
There are similar categories also for other countries and they may need discussion as well.
- Adding some more similar categories (even more specific):
- ––Apalsola t • c 10:47, 31 March 2013 (UTC)
- Comment - I have no problem with transport by year categories. However, that does not necessarily mean that we need them for every country or for every epoch. Their creation should be warranted. And if we need a whole other category tree, Bridges in Finland completed in x year (the need for which is similarly debatable), just to make sure the first category tree is properly populated, then it seems to show that the first category tree isn't probably needed or appropriate. --Skeezix1000 (talk) 14:22, 10 April 2013 (UTC)
- Some more similar categories added:
- ––Apalsola t • c 23:10, 26 July 2013 (UTC)
- Keep. With the aviation ones above, there is great potential to fill the cats, as there are very many thousands of aviation photos being worked on at the moment which are largely unclassified. The cats above are by no means completed as yet and are still work in progress. Until then the cats should remain. Also if this is being done across all countries, why should Finland be excluded. Part of classification by country is to allow comparisons across the world, ie including Finland. Ardfern (talk) 01:48, 27 July 2013 (UTC)
- Of course Finland should not be an exception. I think these categories should not be created for any country if there are only one or two images to be included to them. Finland is just an example of a small country with small amount of pre-2000 aviation related images or any pre-2000 images. (I have done a lot of categorization work regarding to Finland, so I am pretty sure that there are not massive amount uncategorized, pre-2000 images just lying there and waiting for categorization.) If, some day in the future, this situation changes, then we, of course should create these categories. But now this kind of too-detailed categorization just makes finding images harder. ––Apalsola t • c 09:29, 27 July 2013 (UTC)
- Some categories added:
- ––Apalsola t • c 15:17, 8 September 2013 (UTC)