Commons:Categories for discussion/Current requests/2007/07/Category:Maps by theme
This deletion debate is now closed. Please do not make any edits to this archive. You can read the deletion policy or ask a question at the Village pump. If the circumstances surrounding this file have changed in a notable manner, you may re-nominate this file or ask for it to be undeleted.
This category is a subcategory of Category:Maps. This category, Category:Maps by theme, adds nothing. It just confuses people going to Category:Maps. I believe that Category:Maps by theme should be eliminated, and its contents recategorized to Category:Maps.
Category:Maps is where stuff is supposed to be organized by theme. Many people go to Category:Maps to try to get an overall picture of the map categories. They may not even notice Category:Maps by theme. I didn't at first. So I missed many of the available map categories. Category:Maps by theme is a form of over-categorization. --Timeshifter 15:56, 6 July 2007 (UTC)
- The reason for why I think Category:Maps by theme is a suitable subcategory is because when it comes to maps the main subdivision is by geography. /Lokal_Profil 16:07, 6 July 2007 (UTC)
- Sorry I was a bit uclear. Obviously all of the maps in the category are geographical maps. What I meant was that the main subdivision is by geographical subdivision i.e. Maps by continent, Maps by cities, etc. The by theme maps are different in that they present mor then mere geographical information.
- Also not that the en.wiki maps category also doesen't have Maps by cartographer, Maps by century made, Maps by century shown, Maps by language, etc. /Lokal_Profil 17:33, 6 July 2007 (UTC)
- For example; history maps are oftentimes just old mappings of borders and cities. They would come under your more narrow categorization for geographical maps. But some of the history maps have battles marked, etc.. So how does one categorize history maps, then? At the top level Category:Maps, or by the history theme? How do we categorize Maps by century made, Maps by century shown, etc.. Those are also on the history theme.
(Unindent) OK. I can see some benefits from having a "Maps by theme" category. As long as people know to look for it. I edited the introduction of Category:Maps. Here is part of the current introduction:
- This category's subcategories are for geographically-based maps. The top level categories are for basic geography maps of countries, cities, continents, regions, seas, etc..
- See the subcategory Category:Maps by theme for many additional, geographically-based maps covering history, archaeology, economics, politics, military, battles, flags, linguistics, sports, religion, population, ethnography, geology, geographic features, bio-geography, fisheries, disease, topography, protected areas, site plans, transport, bridges, communications, celestial maps, time zones, weather, music, etc.. See also the Atlas index. Atlases are organized and commented collections of geographical, political and historical maps. See also: Category:Satellite pictures.
So readers can now easily find any type of map. --Timeshifter 19:04, 9 July 2007 (UTC)