Commons:Categories for discussion/Current requests/2009/05/Category:Dictators
The equal category to this one has been deleted from Wikipedia a long time ago: see the deletion request. The final criteria was that "Violates POV by endorsing a subjective view, which could never have unbiased criteria as to what a dictator is". The same criteria can be applied here.
Note that this deletion request is ony about the category in itself, none of the images in it (as long as they have good licences) or subcategories by people's name are being proposed for deletion --Belgrano (talk) 17:49, 24 May 2009 (UTC)
- Commons has no POV restrictions as the purpose of categories is to find items in the first place. If the category dictators is not deemed "politically" correct, another name should be proposed as anyway, we need some sort of dictator category. --Foroa (talk) 18:37, 24 May 2009 (UTC)
- Actually: Commons:Project scope/Neutral point of view states that the neutral point of view concept does not apply to images in themselves. For instance a stamp of Hitler and Mossolini is clearly favourable to them, and a comic book parody is clearly desfavourable; what the policy says is that such things are ignored and only the copyright is considered. However, it has never been stated that NPOV does not exist on Commons. That very same policy states that neutrality of description shold be aimed. And considering that categories are not an inherent element of image files but part of the structure builded around them, then I see no reason to allow them to be based on non-neutral criteria Belgrano (talk) 23:22, 24 May 2009 (UTC)
- Support Along with Samulili I agree with Belgrano. the deletion request established that Category:Dictators violates Commons:Project scope/Neutral point of view--ARTEST4ECHO talk 15:58, 13 May 2010 (UTC)
Delete I am in favour of deleting this category for the reason that is is difficult to qualify who is a dictator, with the exception of Roman dictators who constitute a separate category anyway. Most categories on Commons are rather concrete, such as peoples' year of birth, occupation, where they're from and such, things that don't leave much to opinion. But for someone to qualify as a dictator all that is really required is a statement or accusation, right? Franklin Delano Roosevelt was accused of being a dictator; it's even mentioned on English Wikipedia article New Deal, yet he's not in the category for whatever reason. Who are the editors of Wikimedia Commons that some appoint themselves judges over who is and who is not a dictator? Essentially I endorse deleting it for the same reason as stated above "Violates POV by endorsing a subjective view, which could never have unbiased criteria as to what a dictator is." However it is not accurate to say that the dictator cateogry has truly been deleted from Wikipedia because although it has been deleted from English Wikipedia, it does exist on twelve other Wikipedias (a minority to be sure), namely Aragonese, Asturian, Catalan, Spanish, Basque, Finnish, Galician, Latin, Dutch, Romanian, and Slovene Wikipedia. Homo lupus (talk) 19:53, 25 July 2010 (UTC)
- Delete - unless we are talking about certain Roman magistrates who unambiguously took the title of "dictator", this is too POV. Also, someone searching for a particular image is more likely to look in other ways. Jonathunder (talk) 17:21, 27 July 2010 (UTC)
- I am not really against the deletion, but knowing Commons, this category will reappear in one form or another. Maybe we could imagine to rename it to (in)famous leaders, contested country leaders, ... --Foroa (talk) 18:08, 27 July 2010 (UTC)
|Proposed close: Deleted
Violates Commons:Project scope/Neutral point of view because of the difficulty of agreeing what individuals to include in the category. Users searching for specific individuals will still be able to find them elsewhere, whilst Category:Dictatorship can serve for any generic media around the concept of dictatorship. Finally, users wanting to find out who may be considered a dictator can and should use Wikipedia. Rd232 (talk) 02:47, 5 December 2011 (UTC) ~~~~
Done Closed per proposal.