Commons:Categories for discussion/Current requests/2009/07/Category:Berne
This deletion debate is now closed. Please do not make any edits to this archive. You can read the deletion policy or ask a question at the Village pump. If the circumstances surrounding this file have changed in a notable manner, you may re-nominate this file or ask for it to be undeleted.
Rename Category:Berne to Category:Bern to keep it consistent with en:Bern. All related categories should be renamed as well (replacing "Berne" with "Bern", e.g. Category:Canton of Berne -- User:Docu (talk) / en:User:Docu (talk) at 14:01, 6 July 2009 (UTC)
- Support mainly because Bern is the dominant name allover the world (see en:Talk:Bern#Requested_move for more complete picture). It will require renaming of 110 to 120 related categories. --Foroa (talk) 14:38, 6 July 2009 (UTC)
- Not an objection, just a question: isn't the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works pretty consistently spelled "Berne"? - Jmabel ! talk 16:40, 6 July 2009 (UTC)
- That's right: changing such a name has many implications; as you can see in here, there is still a lot of work to do and it will remains always inconsistent. --Foroa (talk) 16:48, 6 July 2009 (UTC)
- On Wikipedias's talk page, Jafeluv collected the following sources
- The CIA World Factbook uses "Bern".
- The University of Bern uses "Bern" in English.
- The Encyclopædia Britannica calls the city "Bern" and notes that it is "also spelled Berne".
- Time calls the city "Bern" here, here and here.
- The New York Times calls the city "Bern" here, here and here.
- The BBC calls the city "Bern" here and "Berne" here, here and here.
- The official site uses both "Bern" and "Berne" in English.
- The UK embassy is located in "Berne".
- The US embassy is located in "Bern".
- I would like to add a few more :
Done This was opened following the opposition to the move by Foroa on Category talk:Berne/Category talk:Canton of Berne. As in the meantime Foroa supports the move and no objections are raised, the rename will be performed. -- User:Docu at 06:13, 20 July 2009 (UTC)