Commons:Categories for discussion/Current requests/2009/09/Category:Venceslas Square in Prague
This deletion debate is now closed. Please do not make any edits to this archive. You can read the deletion policy or ask a question at the Village pump. If the circumstances surrounding this file have changed in a notable manner, you may re-nominate this file or ask for it to be undeleted.
The name is neither in Czech nor in English. The Czech name is "Václavské náměstí", the Engish translation ise "Wenceslas Square". The current category name is mistaken ("V" instead "W").
This square have an establihed Engish version but I believe, the best and most exceptable name for a category is such name which is inscribed in maps and plans of Prague and at street signs. I believe, English-language maps of Prague state Czech names of streets and squares and districts. Let's remind that most of other Prague streets and squares hasn't an established English translation.
There are number of possible solutions:
- Category:Václavské náměstí. This option supposes that the Prague Wenceslas Square is most known of all Wenceslas Squares which have a Czech name. This option is consonant with article name of the Czech Wikipedia.
- Category:Václavské náměstí (Praha). This option is most comptatible with general naming usance at the Czech Wikipedia
- Category:Václavské náměstí (Prague). This option is consonant with most of English-language maps and plans of Prague: the name of city is in English, names of streets and squares is in Czech
- Category:Wenceslas Square (Prague). This option is more homogenic, city name is in brackets after usance in the field of Czech geographic topics at Commons
- Category:Wenceslas Square, Prague. This option respects Anglo-American syntax usance
- Category:Wenceslas Square. This option is consonant with article name of the English Wikipedia.
- As there is en:Wenceslas Square and it has that name since its creation in 2004, I'd use Category:Wenceslas Square. It's important that "Václavské náměstí" is in the category description, but this is ok since its creation. -- User:Docu at 06:07, 10 September 2009 (UTC)
- I agree with User:Docu: Category:Wenceslas Square. - Jmabel ! talk 04:49, 14 September 2009 (UTC)
- I also agree. This square has an established English name, which should be prefered. The model for the cat names over here should be the English WP, not the Czech one. Fransvannes (talk) 18:06, 25 September 2009 (UTC)
renamed to "Wenceslas Square". -- User:Docu at 09:27, 18 October 2009 (UTC)