This page explains the role of checkuser (sometimes called "CU") on Wikimedia Commons.
- If you want to request checkuser help, please post at Commons:Requests for checkuser or alternatively make a private request to any checkuser by email. In an emergency, and if no Commons checkuser is immediately available, please contact a steward.
There are currently 7 checkusers on Commons.
|Checkusers as of February 2015 [+/−]|
|Number of checkusers: 7|
What is a checkuser?
Checkusers are highly-trusted users with the technical ability to see private data for a user, such as their IP address. This is done to determine whether a user is misusing multiple accounts (multiple undisclosed accounts all controlled by the same editor that are used for fraudulent, deceptive, or otherwise disruptive purposes are normally referred to as sockpuppets).
Checkusers are technically able to:
- Determine from which IPs a user has edited or done a logged action or password reset on the Wikimedia wiki;
- Determine the edits, logged actions and password resets on the Wikimedia wiki of a specific IP (even when logged in);
- Determine whether the user being checked has sent an email using MediaWiki interface to some other user.
How do I become a checkuser?
First, read Commons:Checkusers/Howto.
When you are ready, make your request using the box below, replacing Username with your own user name.
For greater visibility, all requests made here are transcluded onto the central Commons:Requests and votes page.
Please note any registered user may vote here although those who have few or no previous edits may not be fully counted. It is preferable if you give reasons both for Support votes or Oppose ones as this will help the closing bureaucrat in their decision. Greater weight is given to argument, with supporting evidence if needed, than to a simple vote.
Requests for CheckUser rights
When complete, pages listed here should be archived to Commons:Checkusers/Archive.
- Please read Commons:Checkusers before posting or voting here. Any logged in user may vote although those who have few or no previous edits may not be fully counted.
Links for INeverCry ( ):
- First request: Commons:Checkusers/Requests/INeverCry
- NOTE: CU requests at Commons run for 2 weeks minimum, this request will end no earlier than 14 February 2015 (UTC)
A while back I laid down the CU tools and adminship due to health reasons. I was able to get back adminship, but not the CU tools. I have epilepsy, so my health is never going to be 100% solid, but I do good work when I'm up and running. As a checkuser here on Commons, I performed several thousand checks, so I'm well able to handle using the tools. I used them for dealing with spambots and their proxy IPs/ranges and sockmasters and their puppets.
I find myself reporting socks to current checkusers quite often, and I think it would be better for myself and for Commons if I had the CU right back. I have familiarity with most of the active sockmasters here, especially David Beals, Wikinger, and Milanopablojavier24.
I'm currently pretty stable physically, and I feel I can do the job properly. I realize that in the past when I've "retired", and/or been rude/confrontational, I would have been much better off just shutting my mouth, taking a short break, and coming back refreshed. This is what I plan to do in future, whether or not this request is successful.
I have my failings, but I can say for myself with complete certainty that I've always been committed to Commons, and have gladly spent my time doing the things I'm good at here to help out. Thanks for your consideration. INeverCry 00:15, 1 February 2015 (UTC)
- Support yup. — Revi 00:43, 1 February 2015 (UTC)
- Support But make sure your health goes first. -- Rillke(q?) 00:48, 1 February 2015 (UTC)
- Support But please remember what you wrote about resigning and taking a break. --Didym (talk) 01:03, 1 February 2015 (UTC)
- Support.—Teles «Talk to me ˱C L @ S˲» 01:38, 1 February 2015 (UTC)
- Support - previous experience is a plus, resigned for health reasons, next time just go for a short wiki-break (have a look at one of the Wikivoyages to see if you fancy a holiday somewhere). Green Giant (talk) 03:17, 1 February 2015 (UTC)
- Support :D Jianhui67 talk★contribs 03:26, 1 February 2015 (UTC)
- Support 1989 03:33, 1 February 2015 (UTC)
- Support. Sure. Érico Wouters (msg) 04:09, 1 February 2015 (UTC)
- Support --EugeneZelenko (talk) 15:15, 1 February 2015 (UTC)
- Support. We need trustworthy and knowledgeable admins to take on tasks like these. But always remember that your health comes first. Commons won't implode because you have to take some time off to sort your health out. HJ Mitchell | Penny for your thoughts? 17:20, 1 February 2015 (UTC)
- For an automated list of current checkusers, see Special:Listusers/checkuser.
- To edit the annotated list of checkusers, click here.