This page explains the role of checkuser (sometimes called "CU") on Wikimedia Commons.
- If you want to request checkuser help, please post at Commons:Requests for checkuser or alternatively make a private request to any checkuser by email. In an emergency, and if no Commons checkuser is immediately available, please contact a steward.
There are currently 7 checkusers on Commons.
|Checkusers as of December 2014 [+/−]|
|Number of checkusers: 7|
What is a checkuser?
Checkusers are highly-trusted users with the technical ability to see private data for a user, such as their IP address. This is done to determine whether a user is misusing multiple accounts (multiple undisclosed accounts all controlled by the same editor that are used for fraudulent, deceptive, or otherwise disruptive purposes are normally referred to as sockpuppets).
Checkusers are technically able to:
- Determine from which IPs a user has edited or done a logged action or password reset on the Wikimedia wiki;
- Determine the edits, logged actions and password resets on the Wikimedia wiki of a specific IP (even when logged in);
- Determine whether the user being checked has sent an email using MediaWiki interface to some other user.
How do I become a checkuser?
First, read Commons:Checkusers/Howto.
When you are ready, make your request using the box below, replacing Username with your own user name.
For greater visibility, all requests made here are transcluded onto the central Commons:Requests and votes page.
Please note any registered user may vote here although those who have few or no previous edits may not be fully counted. It is preferable if you give reasons both for Support votes or Oppose ones as this will help the closing bureaucrat in their decision. Greater weight is given to argument, with supporting evidence if needed, than to a simple vote.
Requests for CheckUser rights
When complete, pages listed here should be archived to Commons:Checkusers/Archive.
- Please read Commons:Checkusers before posting or voting here. Any logged in user may vote although those who have few or no previous edits may not be fully counted.
No current requests.
- For an automated list of current checkusers, see Special:Listusers/checkuser.
- To edit the annotated list of checkusers, click here.