Commons:How to create new subcategories
- Note: See Commons:Categories#Creating a new category for more info. This is the short version.
How to create new subcategories 
If an image or media file needs to be put in a new subcategory, then you will have to create that subcategory.
1. To do so, put the new subcategory name at the bottom of the file while in edit mode:
- [[Category:NEW SUBCATEGORY NAME]]
2. Then click the "save page" button. There will now be a red link at the bottom of the file.
3.Click on the red link. This will open an edit window.
4. Add the category link:
- [[Category:CATEGORY NAME]]
5. Save the page. You have created a new subcategory.
You can create as many subcategories, and levels of subcategories, as are needed to correctly categorize the image and media files.