Commons:Picture of the Year/2012/Rules/en
Thanks for your participation! The 2012 winners have been announced!
Official policies 
|These policies were determined by the POTY 2012 committee and should not be modified without committee approval.
For questions or changes please use the discussion.
- Round 1 of POTY 2012
- from (Wednesday)
- until (Wednesday)
- The first three days are beta testing period. Please check whether the voting script is working successfully.
- Votes in the testing period — the first three days — are also eligible. The committee will count them as well as the votes cast in the later period.
- If you find a bug for the voting tool, please report it to MediaWiki talk:EnhancedPOTY.js; report other things to Commons talk:Picture of the Year/2012.
- Round 2 of POTY 2012
- from (Thursday)
- until (Thursday)
- There will be two rounds in POTY 2012.
- Round 1 will include all images promoted to featured picture status in 2012.
- Round 2 will include the top 36 (+α) images from Round 1.
- The top image will be declared as the Picture of the Year. The top three images will be featured as runners-up.
Voter eligibility 
- Your account must pass the official POTY 2012 voter eligibility tool. To do so, you must:
- …have registered before UTC
- …and have more than 75 edits before (that is 2012-12-31 24:00 (UTC) / , 00:00 (UTC)) in any single Wikimedia project.
- Users must vote with an account meeting the hereinbefore requirements either on Commons or another Wikimedia project.
- For other Wikimedia projects, the account must be attached to the user's Commons account through SUL.
- Due to the large vote volume, we are unable to accept voters that do not meet these criteria as determined by the official POTY 2012 voter eligibility tool.
Voting rules 
In Round 1 - multiple vote - eligible users may vote for as many candidates as they wish to support (one vote per image).
In the Final round - single vote - eligible users may vote for only one finalist. Note: if a voter happen to cast more than one vote, only the latest (newest) vote will be counted as eligible.
|Arthropods (41)||Lepidoptera (74)||Birds (62)||Mammals (27)|
|Other animals (32)||Plants and fungi (50)||Bones, shells and fossils (18)||People and human activities (63)|
|Paintings and illustrations (62)||Sculptures, vitral and inscriptions (44)||Cities and ruins (61)||Constructions and buildings (98)|
|Interiors and details (62)||Panoramic views (60)||Nature views (60)||Astronomy, satellite and outer space (39)|
|Maps and diagrams (44)||Vehicles and crafts (40)||Objects, rocks and miscellaneous (40)||Videos and animations (12)|
Image eligibility 
- Round 1
- All Featured Pictures from 1 January 2012 to 31 December 2012.
- The top 36 images from Round 1, by number of votes, from any category will go to the final round — the categories are irrelevant when it comes to counting the votes.
- If category #1 are not in the top 36, they will be also promoted to the Final to guarantee a diverse final.
A candidate should not be disqualified or replaced without careful discussion as long as it is not deleted (Ex. : a deletion request alone is not enough reason to disqualify an image.)
POTY barnstar 
Tools and bots 
Checking votes 
- Vote button which can check voter eligibility
- Table: will be generated by Kalan's Toolserver tool
Abuse filters 
- Voting by anons (there is already a filter)
- Manipulation: check whether username=voter, prevent removal or change of other user's votes, prevent adding a vote to a picture, if there is already one vote by the user