What is it?
Wikimedia Commonplace is a desktop application to simplify the process of uploading files to Wikimedia Commons or any other MediaWiki-based wiki. The application was developed in 2005, and has been updated starting in mid-2007 to once again correctly upload files.
Commonplace works on Windows using the .NET 2.0 Framework, or on other platforms using the open-source Mono framework.
- . Ensure that you have the .NET framework version 2.0 or higher. If you do not, visit http://microsoft.com/net and download either the .NET 2.0 Framework or the .NET 3.0 Framework prior to installing Commonplace.
- . Go to http://code.google.com/p/wikimediacommonplace/downloads/list and download the CommonplaceSetup.msi program.
- . Run the installation program
Linux (or other Mono-compatible platform) Installation
- . Ensure that you have Mono installed; the application was tested with Mono 1.2.4.
- . Go to http://code.google.com/p/wikimediacommonplace/downloads/list and download the -binaries archive distribution.
- . Uncompress the archive to a convenient location, and run the Commonplace.exe application.
- . If mono is not configured properly, you may need to run Commonplace from the command line using mono Commonplace.exe
The tool is back from the dead, so I (IlyaHaykinson) am still testing it. If you find any issues with the tool, please file them on the Google site at http://code.google.com/p/wikimediacommonplace/issues/list
- IlyaHaykinson last edited in 2010.