Commons Commander (CC) is a GUI for Commons running from Toolserver. It allows editors to add/change/remove categories on files by selecting them through thumbnails. Thumbnails are listed with search, categories, user contributions, etc.
- Two-pane browsing (can be switched to one pane)
- Browsing files by
- recent uploads
- file search
- Filter current file list by title (e.g. all files in the current category/user file list with "Paris" in the title)
- Thumbnails or detailed list, sorted by name, size, or upload date, ascending or descending
- "Eternal scroll" - load some files initially, loads some more as you scroll towards the bottom of the list
- Eternal scroll works for browsing files in a category, user uploads, and search results
- Recent uploads will add new files every 30 seconds instead
- Search for categories and browse the category tree in a special tab
- Open file on double-click
- Select one or multiple files with Crtl and/or Shift keys, or with buttons at the borrom
- Removing from / adding or moving to a category (where possible) by buttons in the category sidebar (Commons only; needs TUSC login)
The right-click context for files can be used to:
- Quickly add a file to a category (or move, when browsing a category)
- Rename a file (currently invokes "Move page" on Commons, as my bot is not allowed to move pages)
- Go to file view/edit
- Show other files uploaded by the same user
- Show related files (searches for "significant" parts of the file name)
- Show categories of a file in the category browsing tab
How to use
- Start from http://toolserver.org/~magnus/commcomm/
- To edit categories, you need to get a TUSC account. When signing up, specify the language as commons and the project as wikimedia.
- in the "gadgets" tab of Special:Preferences, a link can be added to categories to switch to CC in category view
(Please add here or use the talk page to mention other issues)
- Category view for categories with some special characters can only be opened through the gadget
- changing categories with sortkeys doesn't work
- Some may prefer "Single click clears other selections" and "Two panes" options to be de-activated by default.
- "Make subcategory of" doesn't appear to work
- If the confirmation screen to add/move/remove files lists many entries, use "tab" to reach the lower part of the screen
- When searching for categories to add or move files to, the search is somewhat slow after the first three characters.